Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New Job

So today I had an interview for a new job at Uinta Academy. It is a full time position working with adolescent girls at an elite residential living center. The technical term for my position is a family teacher. The mission of the Academy is to teach the girls to respect themselves, others and their environment. I have already had a chance to meet some of the girls and they seem really nice and fun to be around. Their daily life is very structured and full of some pretty cool things. They have on-site barns with tons of horses that they care for and ride. They also have an on-site private school which they attend at weird times to accommodate their schedules. They go to school in the morning after breakfast until 11. then they go out and take care of the horses til noon when they eat lunch. Then they have group time that ranges from discussions on building a better self-esteem to dealing with stress. Then its back to school from 3-5. Dinner and then individual group time finishes up the evening leaving them very little if any free time. They are reinforced on a points system so that they can try to earn certain things. For many of the girls, this Academy is the last step on their treatment path before they return home to their families. It is a pretty cool place and I am really excited to start. The stats are: 40 hours a week, $10.00 (killer for Logan, I know), and I start May 5. Wish me luck and I will let you all know how it goes.

3 comments:

Carly said...

Maddie: I worked at two centers just like this while living in Cedar City. I still miss it there almost every day! I'm convinced there's not a job out there that is more rewarding than helping teenagers find their way back. You will be so great at it, and I'm sure you'll love it! We miss you two in the ward!

Lizzy said...

Good luck Mad, you'll do great!

Holly said...

Congratulations on your new job! That sounds fun and exciting! You will be great!